Sunday, 24 February 2013

More Long-tailed Ducks......

I couldn't resist another look at the long-tailed ducks this morning.....

It seems to be a good winter for this species, plenty up and down the coast and a good few birds on inland waters too...... Not every day you get to see these birds at close range so I am enjoying these beauties while I can. I can't deny that the camera always seems to get drawn towards the male, but the female has a charm all of her own, a more subtle bird and quite fearless too !!



 


I also visited the scrapes this morning. All the usual stuff there plus the long tailed duck still and 4 goldeneye, I wonder what they are feeding on ?

Today on the scrapes...

1 long-tailed duck
4 goldeneye
29 wigeon
62 teal
2 shoveler
12 mallard
4 redshank
5 dunlin

5 comments:

  1. Nice photos Stringer!

    Gotta admit that some of the males have a charming drag-queen poodle vibe about them.

    Good Birding

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I wonder what they are feeding on?"

    Pond snails? Marine snails form an important part of their (normal) diet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Permanent water has only been here for a year or two (it was dry in 2011). I guess snails could come in on ducks feet or something tho..... Interesting point, maybe aquatic life is becoming more established here.

    ReplyDelete